Thursday, January 24, 2013

Classroom Management

I've been teaching math for two weeks now.  I added social studies this week (two lessons for social studies per week).  Next week I will continue with math and social studies.  I have yet to get stressed out over lesson planning.  I have a wonderful kindergarten team that truly wants to see me succeed.  Because of my coordinating teacher (CT) and the other teachers' support and faith in me, I have had quite a smooth experience thus far.  

I am so thankful that I get to spend every day with my students.  I have learned so much about them and teaching!  Tonight, I will talk about classroom management.  Surely this is only the first of many posts on this subject.  :)

Classroom Management 

There is not a magic potion.  Just because something works with the student one day does not mean it will work the next.  Get creative. seriously creative. I have several students who do not respond to traditional classroom management strategies.  Thinking up ways to connect to those students makes a big difference in their behavior.  Praise and positive words (kind words) towards students make a difference.  Duh. I know this but so often in schools these days we see negativity flowing from teacher to student.  A lot of students these days hear negative words all the time (no, stop, don't, can't, etc).  They respond to kindness. Lastly, find the patterns, try to anticipate problems in the classroom, and work proactively to avoid situations that may cause issue. 

Most Importantly...
These students have sweet, kind, innocent hearts, inquisitive minds, and so much promise.  These students are children who need support, love, kindness, faith, and inspired teaching with energizing lessons and activities.  This is something that must always be in the forefront of a teacher's mind. 

Thanks for checking back in with me.  Have a great week :) 

Kat :)

2 comments:

  1. "These students have sweet, kind, innocent hearts, inquisitive minds, and so much promise. These students are children who need support, love, kindness, faith, and inspired teaching with energizing lessons and activities." - Love this...these kids are lucky to have you!!

    ReplyDelete